Careers at AWIS
Collaborate with an exceptional team of committed professionals
Job Title: Chief Development Officer
Job Status: Full-Time Exempt
Reports to: CEO
Location: Flexible – Virtual Office Position
The Chief Development Officer is responsible for generating all association non-dues revenue including corporate and institutional partnerships, career center, programs and publications. They will leverage AWIS’ strong brand to identify and develop new market opportunities and revenue streams to support organizational stability and growth.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary executive responsible for the design and sales of AWIS programs and services.
- Develops annual organizational sales strategy and supporting implementation plan based on the AWIS strategic plan.
- Sets budget for all organizational development activities, including annual revenue goals and expenses related to the sales activity.
- Develops and presents customized proposals and pricing to AWIS customers.
- Collaborates with the Senior Director of Corporate Relations to implement and refine a tiered-corporate partnership program.
- Evaluates fundraising opportunities for AWIS and works with CEO, AWIS Governing Board and contracted support to implement fundraising strategies.
- Tracks financial performance of the development initiatives to financial goals with the CEO and COO. Recommends adjustments to meet goals.
- Increases their professional knowledge of sales models in an era of ever-digitizing sales channels. Proposes changes required in technology to support new approaches to sales.
- Develops key marketing communication strategies to support sales. Works with Marcom staff to guide direct marketing, digital strategies, printed material, social media, and other marketing message development in support of sales.
- Researches market trends and tunes organizational sales strategies to assure ongoing financial sustainability.
- Fosters strategic alliances and partnerships with industry, academia and foundations, building effective relationships to enhance the association’s outreach at every level.
- Other duties as needed or assigned.
This is a leadership position with AWIS reporting to the CEO and will manage multiple employees. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong leadership capacity in strategic thinking, interpersonal skills, self-awareness and problem-solving. The successful candidate will show a strong affinity to the AWIS Mission.
- Strategic sales executive with at least 10 years of experience working within the STEM (Science – Technology – Engineering – Mathematics) association or non-profit market.
- Demonstrated ability to grow overall organization sales and to maintain excellent relationships with established customers.
- Must be a curious, lifelong learner who scans the economy for developing trends and considers opportunities to provide clear value and monetization of these opportunities.
- Enjoys collaborating with members of their team, looks for opportunities to support the work of the staff throughout the organization.
- Approaches the sales development process as a way of finding solutions for their customers.
- Familiar with sales development within higher education, corporate, and association segments. Experience with federal agencies and labs a plus.
- Natural relationship builder who possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills, particularly in developing presentations, proposals, marketing messaging.
- Certified Association Executive (CAE) credential preferred.
- Proven self-starter who works independently with minimum supervision.
- Five or more years of experience managing volunteers and/or supervising employees.
- Computer fluency in standard office software and ability to learn AWIS digital platform.
- Regular travel, approximately 15 percent, required.
The Association for Women in Science (AWIS) is the largest multi-discipline organization for women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) dedicated to achieving equity and full participation of women in all disciplines and across all employment sectors. The Association for Women in Science is a global network with 80 grassroots chapters and affiliates connecting more than 100,000 professionals in STEM with members, allies and supporters worldwide. Membership is open to any individual who supports the vision and mission of AWIS.
AWIS champions the interests of women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics across all disciplines and employment sectors. Working for positive system transformation, AWIS strives to ensure that all women in these fields can achieve their full potential.
AWIS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, gender, gender expression, age, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.