Careers at AWIS
Collaborate with an exceptional team of committed professionals
Job Title: Chief Marketing Officer
Job Status: Full-Time Exempt
Reports to: CEO
Location: Flexible – Virtual Office Position
The AWIS Chief Marketing Officer will increase the reach and financial participation of stakeholders in the largest multi-discipline organization that champions the advancement of women in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
The AWIS Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) is a visionary marketing executive with a strong background in market analysis and segmentation, branding, positioning and content creation, social media and digital marketing, revenue generation and media relations. The CMO is both a strategist and a hands-on communicator, expert in developing a segmented organizational marketing and fundraising strategy consistent with the AWIS brand. The CMO will play a crucial role in cultivating and advancing the point of view and public voice of AWIS, and in continuing to build AWIS’ reputation as a respected and authoritative resource on the topic of women’s participation and equity in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops a comprehensive annual marketing and communications plan to support all products and services and stakeholder audiences.
- Develops, leads, and optimizes all print and digital marketing strategies and platforms across the organization to increase engagement, membership, donations, registrations, and drive all other forms of revenue.
- Oversees transition and execution of new strategies designed to drive community engagement via multiple points of engagement (website, social media, online learning, etc.).
- Manages and optimizes AWIS’ website, social media channels, marketing automation and lead acquisition processes through email, content, and social channels.
- Analyzes market and community demographics and trends; develops market-driven personas and tailored customer journey campaigns for key segments.
- Uses the power of storytelling narrative to showcase the talents, journeys and experiences of women in STEM, provides guidance for product improvement and identifies areas of opportunity for growth.
- Collaborates with Chief Development Officer (CDO) to align marketing and communication strategies to support sales plans.
- Creates a system-wide reporting function that tracks, measures and analyzes performance on all marketing and communications activities.
- Oversees project schedules, budgets, financials, metrics, and data management.
- Experience leveraging Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and marketing software system or similar systems like SalesForce.com, Pardot, ActOn, HubSpot, etc.
- Develops and executes large-scale event marketing for brand building and fundraising purposes.
- Engages trade and mainstream media by writing persuasively, pitching effectively and building strong relationships with reporters, columnists, producers, social media influencers and bloggers.
- Prepares talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting materials for CEO, other executives and Board Members, as required.
- Collaborates on writing proposals to funders when appropriate.
- Other duties as needed or assigned.
The CMO brings a proven marketing track record in products, events, membership, partnerships, communities, and fundraising for Business-to-Consumer (B2C) and Business-to-Business (B2B) audiences. In addition to the requirements below, the successful candidate will show a strong affinity to the AWIS Mission and to the crucial importance of women’s representation in the STEM professions.
- 10+ years of experience in a variety of marketing roles, with increasing responsibility and leadership growth over time, preferably in association/non-profit space.
- Proven track record of increasing members/customers and building engagement, reach and revenue in creative ways.
- Expert in end-to-end inbound marketing and lifecycle stage optimization tactics.
- Superior skills in developing cause-based social media channel campaigns, website development and digital publishing, and using the power of storytelling and compelling content creation to showcase the talents, journeys and experiences of women in STEM while reaching financial results.
- Possesses a refined ability to convey an idea coherently, concisely, and compellingly with excellent grammar and spelling.
- Experience with social media, email deployment systems, database management, and list selection/segmentation.
- Previous experience facilitating surveys and customer research, analyzing the results, and developing plans to seize opportunities found through data analysis.
- Google Ads/Analytics, SEO/SEM competency.
- Preferably candidates will also possess knowledge and/or experience with:
- Salesforce Marketing Cloud or other similar marketing automation platform
- Third party media buying platforms such as Centro, Adroll, Feathr, Doubleclick
- Possesses relevant certifications in Google Ads Fundamentals certification, Google Analytics Level I and II, and Facebook Blueprint
- Possesses some background in working with the press.
- Five or more years personnel management experience.
- Limited travel is required.
- Results-driven. You smoothly manage through ambiguity and easily shift gears, reprioritize, and stay focused on outcomes. You consistently achieve results, even under tough circumstances.
- Communicator. You can deliver critical and complex information to a variety of audiences in a credible and presentable way and can challenge and be challenged in intellectual debate. You share information, coordinate effectively, and execute your responsibilities while working across teams.
- Leader and Collaborator. You are a facilitator and team builder. You have proven experience coaching, mentoring, and developing staff at all professional levels. You are also a collaborator who works as an integral part of a team that works and wins together.
- Business-minded. You have successfully structured programs to generate revenue. You are data-driven and able to anticipate, identify, and analyze needs.
- Technology currency: Blogs, Podcasts, AI and whatever comes next; you stay current and assess the right time to embrace emerging technologies to achieve success.
- Flexible. You shift gears and reprioritize as needed, allocating resources wisely to both the urgent and the important.
- Project manager. You set priorities wisely and know how to make tough resource allocation decisions, always finding a way to forward strategic initiatives.
The AWIS Chief Marketing Officer reports to the AWIS CEO, and has one direct report, the Digital Marketing Manager. As part of AWIS’ executive team, the CMO collaborates on the strategies to grow the organization’s reach and revenue.
The Association for Women in Science (AWIS) is the largest multi-discipline organization for women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) dedicated to achieving equity and full participation of women in all disciplines and across all employment sectors. The Association for Women in Science is a global network with 80 grassroots chapters and affiliates connecting more than 100,000 professionals in STEM with members, allies and supporters worldwide. Membership is open to any individual who supports the vision and mission of AWIS.
AWIS champions the interests of women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics across all disciplines and employment sectors. Working for positive system transformation, AWIS strives to ensure that all women in these fields can achieve their full potential.
AWIS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, gender, gender expression, age, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. This policy applies to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, promotion, compensation, termination, leaves of absence, training, development, and advancement. AWIS recognizes that we live and work in a diverse world and values the skills and abilities of employees from all cultural backgrounds and traditions.
Submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Liz Scire at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30, 2020.