Careers at AWIS
Collaborate with an exceptional team of committed professionals
Job Title: Communications Intern
Job Status: Part-Time Non-Exempt
Reports to: Chief Marketing & Communications Officer
Location: Flexible – Washington, DC
The Association for Women in Science (AWIS) is the leading organization that advocates for women in STEM. AWIS dedicates time and energy to the internship program in order to provide hands-on experience working on the communications and marketing of STEM-related issues. We aim to provide interns with the opportunity to build STEM industry knowledge, learn communications tactics and best practices, and opportunities to network with industry peers. AWIS Internships are headquartered in Washington, DC as part-time positions (no more than 30 hours per week) and paid (based on experience). Interns are expected to work a minimum of three months (a full semester) and based on performance may be extended for a second semester. Undergraduate seniors and graduate students preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Research, write, proofread and fact-check content for AWIS communications channels including, but not limited to, press releases, newsletters and quarterly magazine
- Assist with basic website content updates
- Provide support in marketing activities, coordination of advocacy related efforts and events
- Contribute to research reports and analysis of media coverage and contacts
- Participate in meetings (as necessary)
- Assist with fulfillment activities
The successful candidate will demonstrate capacity in strategic thinking, interpersonal skills, self-awareness, and problem-solving. The successful candidate will show a strong affinity to the AWIS Mission.
- Current senior undergraduate or graduate student with a major in communications, public relations, women’s studies, gender studies, or science/STEM
- Strong writing and proofreading skills and attention to detail
- Proficient with writing, conducting research, fact-checking and analysis
- General proficiency with updates on social and web platforms such as WordPress
- Confident, interpersonal skills
- At least one full year of professional experience working in an office environment
The Association for Women in Science (AWIS) is the largest multi-discipline organization for women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) dedicated to achieving equity and full participation of women in all disciplines and across all employment sectors. The Association for Women in Science is a global network with 80 grassroots chapters and affiliates connecting more than 100,000 professionals in STEM with members, allies and supporters worldwide. Membership is open to any individual who supports the vision and mission of AWIS.
AWIS champions the interests of women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics across all disciplines and employment sectors. Working for positive system transformation, AWIS strives to ensure that all women in these fields can achieve their full potential.
AWIS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, gender, gender expression, age, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
Email résumé, cover letter (including academic status), two short writing samples, and one reference with contact information to Maria Ibanez at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write INTERNSHIP CANDIDATE in the email subject line. No phone calls please.