Careers at AWIS
Collaborate with an exceptional team of committed professionals
Marketing Specialist at the Association for Women in Science
Position Title: Marketing Specialist
Reporting to: Chief Marketing Officer
Location: Flexible Remote Position
The Marketing Specialist will develop and manage targeted efforts and activities to promote the association’s mission and programs promoting advocacy, career growth, and scholarships to advance women in science. We are celebrating our 50th anniversary in 2021 and growing the organization. The ideal candidate must possess experience in marketing with knowledge, skills and abilities to perform with confidence the various functions of the position. This is an ideal fit for a creative person with a strong work ethic who is looking to expand their professional scope by being involved with many aspects of an association marketing department. The candidate must be a self-starter who can thrive independently, adapt quickly, and collaborate successfully with his/her peers. The candidate must have strong social media, project management, website management, writing, proofreading and editing skills to support multiple projects concurrently. Strong verbal and interpersonal skills along with the ability to prioritize and multi-task with success is required.
- Bachelor’s degree required in communications, marketing, digital media or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5-7 years of progressive marketing experience – a plus if with a national association or in a nonprofit environment
- Experience with digital and social media content creation
- Outstanding written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organizational, time management and multi-tasking abilities
- Proficiency with software including MS Office as well as project management tools, online marketing and CMS platforms
- Experience with webpage creation or maintenance and search engine optimization
- Some proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Premiere) or other graphic design software
- Fluency and execution with social media outreach, understanding of analytics, and content creation for social media platforms including, but not limited to, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Hootsuite, etc.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge, and experience in the creation and execution of marketing and communications campaigns and activities for national audiences
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills with the ability to convey information in an easy to understand, compelling, and engaging manner
- Excellent project and time management skills with the ability to multitask, shift priorities, and work in a deadline-oriented, fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal communications skills with the ability to work as part of team and collaborate and engage effectively with membership chapters, affiliates and partners
- Exercise good judgment and making sound decisions that demonstrate problem solving ability, adaptability and responsiveness to change
- Ability to think critically and analytically, and when needed, craft and execute strategic, rapid-response communications in a timely manner
- Understanding of the culture of scientific professionals and knowledge of STEM industries a significant asset
- Manage and execute all aspects of communications, marketing and public relations for AWIS, its chapters and affiliates, members, and board
- Provide project management including marketing and speaker management for monthly webinar series and event coordination
- Develop strategies and media relations tactics to help identify storytelling opportunities and amplify AWIS key messages and brand
- Execute marketing plans beginning with surveying members, creation of marketing assets and collateral, activation of plan, and concluding with data and metric analysis
- Manage social media advertising and remarketing campaigns
- Provide writing and coordination for AWIS communications including the quarterly magazine, weekly newsletter, research reports, advocacy tools and career resources
- Create content for various media related documents, including, but not limited to, press releases, digital, web and social media, talking points and messaging documents, with attention to detail to ensure accuracy of information
- Design and develop graphics, images, webpage creation, videos, video editing, and other collateral like PowerPoint presentations, and advertisements.
The Association for Women in Science (AWIS) is the largest multi-discipline organization for women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) dedicated to achieving equity and full participation of women in all disciplines and across all employment sectors. Our advocacy, scholarships and programs support more than 100,000 members, allies and supporters worldwide. Membership is open to any individual who supports the vision and mission of AWIS. Learn more at https://www.awis.org.
Submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Meredith Gibson at email@example.com.
AWIS does not discriminate on the basis of any legally protected category including race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, promotion, compensation, termination, leaves of absence, training, development, and advancement. AWIS recognizes that we live and work in a diverse world and values the skills and abilities of employees from all cultural backgrounds and traditions.