Careers at AWIS
Collaborate with an exceptional team of committed professionals dedicated to STEM equity
Vendor Information Request for AWIS Meeting Planning
The Association for Women in Science (AWIS) is seeking outside assistance to provide project and volunteer management, planning, logistics, and implementation of the 2020 AWIS Innovation and Inclusion Summit and Awards Dinner.
The Association for Women in Science (AWIS), founded in 1971, is the leading organization that advocates on behalf of women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) to achieve business growth, social change, and innovation. We are dedicated to driving excellence in STEM by achieving equity and full participation of women in all disciplines and across all employment sectors. AWIS has helped guide Congress, the United Nations, pharmaceutical and biotech companies, institutions and other professional organizations on decisions and best practices to achieve gender diversity and positive system transformation in STEM. AWIS is a global network with 80 grassroots chapters and affiliates connecting more than 100,000 professionals in STEM with members, allies and supporters worldwide. Learn more about the contributions of AWIS on our website.
Scope of Work
AWIS is seeking a meetings professional with expertise in both the project management and meetings logistics domains to organize and deploy the organization’s signature annual fundraising event: The AWIS Innovation and Inclusion Summit. The successful consultant, or company, will bring proven excellence in developing and managing executive-level scientific and/or technical meetings, and a passion for providing exceptional customer service to all stakeholders: sponsors, participants, speakers, volunteers, vendors and staff. Key responsibilities will include facilitating the program committee (Strategic Action Committee), managing registration, on-site production, and event execution for a 250-person summit and awards dinner program. Additionally, managing the logistics for a 20-person national board meeting in Houston the day prior to the Summit.
General Project Management
- Create, manage and maintain project plan and timeline
- Develop and keep a comprehensive project plan regularly updated including deadlines, target dates, tasks, and parties involved
- Provide weekly progress reports to AWIS staff
- Facilitate biweekly Strategic Action Committee meetings (program committee) and regular Summit staff meetings; follow up to provide meeting notes, action items to the committee and staff teams
- Oversee adherence to AWIS’ vision for project and other high-level aspects; overall art/creative direction for the Summit
- Drive decision-making between all stakeholders
- Manage entire team including AWIS staff and strategic advisory committee
- Set, remind, and enforce deadlines with sensitivity to external responsibilities
- Employ existing AWIS internal communication and collaboration tools for maximum effectiveness
- Develop and maintain detailed event budget to meet target and provide weekly budget updates
- Conduct “pre-mortem” meetings with the team at project outset, and 2-3 weeks prior to the event
- Conduct postmortem call and event wrap-up
Speakers Management & Liaison
- Manage speakers and moderators who accept the invitation to speak, follow-up to collect bio, photos, and all necessary items in a timely manner for AWIS promotion in required formats
- Manage all pre-event communications including introducing speakers to other speakers and moderators on the panel and lead up communications on a schedule to be determined
- Manage professional and respectful communication with confirmed speakers regarding assets, fees, travel/accommodations, and field/direct any questions to relevant parties
- Ensure the moderators hold their pre-event calls with speakers
- Manage all requests by speakers for other information or needs
- Provide primary speaker management on day of the event
Sponsor Management & Liaison
- Provide sponsor fulfillment to collect logos, photos, magazine articles, magazine ads, sponsor guest registrations for Summit and dinner, and all other necessary items in a timely manner and for AWIS promotion in required formats
- Manage professional and respectful communication with sponsors regarding assets, fees, travel/accommodations, and field/direct any questions to relevant parties
- Manage sponsor guest registration process
- Manage all sponsor requests for other information or needs
- Provide primary sponsor management on day of the event
- Direct pre-event venue, AV, catering and reception logistics (set-up and break-down)
- Coordinate production and delivery of any printed materials, including signage (banners, podium sign, etc.) or swag
- Coordinate and produce gift bags
- Execute stage design
- Provide on-site production management of event logistics and site visits
- Create seating chart
- Coordinate and manage registration
- Create and print name badges, table tents and all other signage
- Assist with vendor sourcing, vetting, and contracting as needed
- Order awards and decorations for event
- Manage guest count, sponsor table placement and seating chart
- Determine if ADA supports are needed
- Complete any event venue requirements
- Coordinate thank you notes for sponsors, attendees, speakers.
- Coordinate communication emails – Three weeks to go, One week to go, 3 days before event
- Coordinate development and distribution of run-of-show document
- Manage run-of-show day of event
- Create and manage AWIS on-site staff assignments
The 2020 Innovation and Inclusion Summit and Awards Dinner will be held on April 23, 2020, in Houston, Texas, at the Corinthian Houston. The event will begin at 12:30 pm with a half-day summit program component, contain a networking reception and conclude with the awards dinner. Sponsorship will be sold for this fundraising event. See https://www.innovation-summit.org/ for additional information.
Our goal is to select a vendor by June 15, 2019 to being work in June 2019.
Please provide the following, as well as any additional information you believe is directly relevant to our selection.
- Brief overview of your company and its experience with meeting management. Please include the number of individuals in your company and the level of experience the likely main point of contact will have.
- Your rates or billing structure
- A list of clients with whom you’ve worked
Selection Process & Information Submission
Following the receipt of responses from vendors with expertise in meeting planning, AWIS staff will review the responses, identify several finalists, conduct interviews and select the finalist. Please submit your response to Meredith Gibson via email by the deadline of May 31, 2019. AWIS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, gender, gender expression, age, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities, or operations.