A Global Network of 100,000 Members, Allies and Supporters
We are dedicated to driving excellence in STEM by achieving equity and full participation of women in all disciplines and across all employment sectors.
The AWIS Emory Chapter hosts an event with state representatives and Emory University professors.
What We Do
AWIS is a global network that inspires bold leadership, research, and solutions that advance women in STEM, spark innovation, promote organizational success, and drive systemic change.
Advocacy and Public Engagement
AWIS works at the nexus of STEM and gender to provide high-quality policy solutions and recommendations for broadening participation across all disciplines and employment sectors.
Talent and Leadership Development
AWIS helps women in STEM achieve their full potential through leadership and professional talent development at all career stages and in all workplace settings.
Research and Analysis
AWIS provides research and analysis on contemporary issues relevant to America’s STEM enterprise. Thoughtful leadership includes workforce recruitment, retention, and recognition.
Strategic Partnerships and Business Solutions
AWIS is your partner. We support corporate transformation to cultivate supportive and inclusive work cultures that help attract and retain top talent.
As a result of the work we do, women in STEM will be:
- Compensated fairly and without discrimination;
- Advanced equitably and without bias;
- Respected and recognized for their scientific achievements;
- Exposed to successful role models in leadership positions; and
- Able to achieve optimum work/life integration.
AWIS by the Numbers
AWIS by Discipline
- Agricultural Science 1.8% 1.8%
- Astronomy & Physical Sciences 6.2% 6.2%
- Behavioral Science 1.1% 1.1%
- Biological Science 34.5% 34.5%
- Chemistry 9.2% 9.2%
- Computer Science 4.1% 4.1%
- Earth & Environmental Sciences 3.9% 3.9%
- Engineering 6.8% 6.8%
- Geosciences 1.4% 1.4%
- Health and Medical Sciences 18% 18%
- Mathematics 1.5% 1.5%
- Social Sciences 4.2% 4.2%
- Social Sciences 6% 6%
- Other 7.4% 7.4%
AWIS by Employment Sector
- Academia (Higher Ed) 24% 24%
- Academia (K-12) 1% 1%
- Government/Military/Public Service 20% 20%
- Industry/Business 21% 21%
- Nonprofit Organization 12% 12%
- Self-Employed 2% 2%
- Other 20% 20%
AWIS Strategic Plan
The AWIS Strategic Plan for 2015–2018 focuses on three strategic pillars:
- Positive system transformation
- Leadership and talent development
- Organizational capacity
Find out more by downloading a copy of our strategic plan.
Diversity & Inclusion Statement
We strongly believe that organizations function more effectively with diversity of thought, and the inclusion of varying voices. Each of us has unique strengths and attributes and embracing these differences is important to make our organizations exceptional places to work. Since 1971, AWIS has embraced and respected the value of a diverse and inclusive community reflective of the rich experience of our membership, board, and employees.