A Global Network of 100,000 Members, Allies and Supporters
We are dedicated to driving excellence in STEM by achieving equity and full participation of women in all disciplines and across all employment sectors.
The AWIS Emory Chapter hosts an event with state representatives and Emory University professors.
The Reason for AWIS
Women scientists continue to face disproportionate barriers to success. Compared to men, women scientists have fewer opportunities for:
- Advancement into leadership roles
- Publication of their discoveries
- Recognition for their innovations
At the same time, women scientists also encounter more frequent discrimination and harassment, including sexual harassment, in the workplace. These challenges are even greater for women scientists who come from marginalized communities, such as the BIPOC and LGBTQ+ communities.
Key facts about the equity gap for women in science
- Although women make up 50% of the US college-educated workforce, they represent only 28% of the science and engineering workforce. ngcproject.org
- In US higher education institutions, about 1 in 4 deans and department heads are women; in the sciences, only about 1 in 20 deans and department heads are women. eric.ed.gov
- Women publish only about 35% of STEM research publications. Northeastern.edu
- Less than 13% of US inventors receiving patents are women. USPTO.gov
In scientific field work
71% of women have experienced sexual harassment, and 26% of women have experienced sexual assault.
How AWIS supports women in science
AWIS works to break down systemic barriers to women’s advancement in science. We champion the interests of women in science through:
- Advocacy — We engage in a wide range of advocacy efforts for women in science, including weekly public policy meetings with science society leadership; partnership with the Societies Consortium on Sexual Harassment in STEMM; and planning of advocacy activities for our members, like our recent screening and discussion of the film Picture a Scientist and development of antiracist resources.
- Recognition — We uplift the voices of women scientists not only through our advocacy efforts, but also highlight their research and accomplishments through our membership resources, member spotlights, social media, and monthly magazine.
- Career Advancement — We offer scholarships and grants, networking opportunities, trainings and other events, and a career center featuring thousands of job opportunities. AWIS also helps women develop leadership skills by inviting members to join planning committees, become mentors, and serve on their local chapter’s board.
- Thought Leadership — The AWIS research center helps policy makers, employers, and other key stakeholders understand the factors needed to develop equitable, inclusive workplaces for women in science. We analyze trends in the fields of science to offer actionable advice about how this research applies to women scientists and the organizations where they work.
- Organizational Partnerships — We partner directly with organizations to help promote and accelerate equity, inclusion, and advancement of women in science. Our leaders help organizations that hire women scientists implement evidence-based best practices in talent acquisition, retention, and leadership development.
In 2021, we are celebrating our 50th anniversary of supporting women in science. Learn more about some of the biggest milestones we’ve accomplished over the past fifty years.
As a result of the work we do, women in STEM will be:
- Compensated fairly and without discrimination;
- Advanced equitably and without bias;
- Respected and recognized for their scientific achievements;
- Exposed to successful role models in leadership positions; and
- Able to achieve optimum work/life integration.
How you can help
Do you believe in our mission to champion women in science? You can make a lasting impact for current and future women scientists. Here’s how you can get involved:
- Make a Donation — Support our advocacy, education, and career advancement efforts with a monetary gift. AWIS is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, so your gift is tax-deductible.
- Become a Member — AWIS members create a safe, supportive community for women scientists. As an AWIS member, you can invest in yourself and fellow women in science.
- Become a Partner — Higher education institutions, corporations, and other organizations partner with AWIS to connect with and champion our global network of women scientists.
For additional information about how you can support AWIS, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 202-588-8175.