We Are #STEMSTRONG
Ann Lee-Karlon, PhD
Senior Vice President, Portfolio Management and Operations, Genentech
Benefactor Member since 2010
- Provide strong support for STEM education.
- Increase internship and research collaboration opportunities within federal research laboratories.
- Require federal science agencies to collect specified standardized annual data for all applications for research and development grants to institutions of higher education and to submit the data collected to the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- Support pay equity.
- Promote paid parental leave benefits.
- Provide training on preventing sexual harassment and unconscious bias.
Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Track demographic data on people disclosing technologies and earning patents; and compare ratios to make sure unconscious discrimination is not occurring.
- Increase funding for entrepreneurship training opportunities for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
- Reauthorize the Small Business Act and make permanent the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs.
Leadership and Funding of STEM Research
- Ensure that OSTP has the leadership, access, structure, and resources to enhance the integration of S&T advice in federal policymaking within the EOP and, as appropriate, across the federal agencies.
- Provide stable and predictable funding to enable scientists to pursue transformative research.
- Expand NSF’s I-Corps program.
Be an Advocate
Join the AWIS Action Network
If we don’t speak up for ourselves and our concerns, who will? Receive advocacy e-mail notices about events and actions you can take and access to our advocacy toolkit.
Get involved, download the AWIS Advocacy Handbook.